Kyle's Blog of Ethicness

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

04/18/06

This blog is a substitution for my absence from class on Thursday April 13. I will be talking about the article by Lugones – “On the Logic of Pluralist Feminism.”

Whenever I hear something about feminists or feminism, I always feel like I am in for some kind of controversial topic. However, this article had a different view than I had ever heard – it talked of women interacting with women; namely black women and white women. The article talks about what Lugones calls “Problems of Difference.” She says that the American stride for equality is not sufficient – we try to say that all women are the same, black and white. Though this is with good intentions, it is not acted out properly. And let’s face it – not all women are the same across races. The problems of difference need to first be recognized and then acted upon. An interactive step is missing. She suggests looking at black women not in boomerang perception, but in a mirror perception – to see them and see self. But, white women block this perception for many reasons. This in turn blocks identification with black women and the whole problem exists again.

This is all very interesting and a whole new way of looking at things for me. It brought many concerns and new thoughts to my mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home